What is 35/15? Read the Introduction first.
(Note: All 1935 photographs are on the John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library Omeka site. They are viewable by clicking the link provided, scrolling to the bottom of the page, then clicking the image.)
Alright, let's cover two blocks in this part. Don't worry, they're short blocks with not many reconstructed/restored buildings in 1935. If we turn around from the Ludwell-Paradise House, we will see our first building.
William Lightfoot House
|Lightfoot House, August 9, 2015, 11:51am|
This is the Lightfoot House, one of the town's original buildings. This is a private residence.
Without the grass, the tall trees, and their shadows, this is a very different shot. The line of hitching posts are gone. Cobblestones are for the most part covered up by dirt. The path from the steps to the street remains. The chippendale railing on the steps has been replaced with a simpler pattern. The fence to the right of the steps is now gone. The 1935 trees on the side of the house now soar above the roof. Boxwood has taken over as well.
Captain Orr's Dwelling / George Reid House
|George Reid House, July 14, 2015, 2:59pm|
The William Lightfoot Kitchen to the right of Reid's House was reconstructed in 1948. On the next block is the Orlando Jones House, reconstructed in 1940. The paint color on the Reid House is now entirely maroon, instead of three colors in 1935. The lightning rod has now been extended past the top of the fireplace. Gone is the jungle of plants. Now grass, a few bushes on the Lightfoot Kitchen property, trees in properties beyond, and moss on the Reid House roof are all the plants here.
Teterel Shop / William Waters Storehouse
|William Waters Storehouse, August 12, 2015, 12:26pm|
|Unobstructed view of the storehouse, same day and time|
This was known as the Teterel Shop, now the William Waters Storehouse (Teterel owned it in 1806, outside of the town's interpretation period). It was reconstructed in 1934, and was used as an A&P store. In 1938, it became a Rexall. It was known as Rexall Number Two, for being the second Rexall in town on DoG Street (quite a few chain shops had one shop on either end of the street). In 1958, it closed its doors after its owner, Dr. Clarence Hall, passed away. It is now used as a changing room and breakroom for actor interpreters in town.
Since since the initial Restoration, there continued to be a building boom for a couple more decades. In the far left is Monsieur Dubois' Grocer, reconstructed in 1956. Inbetween the Grocer and Water's Storehouse is Holt's Storehouse, reconstructed in 1953. From the Prentis Store to this storehouse, there was no building inbetween in 1935. In 1936, the George Pitt House was built, but it wouldn't be until the 1950's where this side of the street block filled out.
The building has lost a rear addition. Most likely it was needed for extra shop services and taken away when the building closed in 1958. The paint trim and metal railings are now the same color of the building. The trees, plants, and hitching rails have all been changed out. The grass has gone on to greener pastures. So has the sign, but the signpost remains.
Davidson / William Pitt Store
|William Pitt Store, July 14, 2015, 2:45pm|
I have a lot of holes in the history of this building. This was known as the Davidson Shop until very recently. Built in 1934, it housed R.W. Mahone & Co. General Merchandise. In 1968, an article in the CW News reports that the Department of Exhibition Buildings moved in. The article did not mention any previous business, so it must have been closed for some time. The Department of Exhibition Buildings was in charge of hostesses and their tours throughout the exhibition buildings. In 2013, the newly-christened William Pitt Store opened to the public, selling children's toys. William Pitt was the owner of the store during the revolution, which is the time Williamsburg now interprets in, so he booted out Davidson's previous claim. In the early months of 2015, the store was remodeled and had a grand reopening this April.
In 1935, the Davidson and Teterel Shops were next-door neighbors. Now the Waters House sits inbetween them, reconstructed in 1942. Across the street to the right is the Prentis House, reconstructed in 1939.
The building behind the shop is still there, used as a modern public restroom. Gone is the sign, the signpost, the trees in front of the shop, and the hitching rails. A new younger tree is growing right in front of the Pitt Store now. The gate to the left of the store has fancier gate post tops and a lamppost, buried in one of my favorite plants above a gate. Grass is fighting to remain here, even invading into the cobblestone territory. People are always wandering in front of the Pitt Store nowadays.
"The Restoration of Colonial Williamsburg" Architectural Record, December 1935
"Two Historic Area Houses Receive New Names," CW News, November 12, 1968
"Department of Exhibition Buidings Moves to Davidson Shop," CW News, June 25, 1968
Interview with Tabitha Poteat
Interview with Nicole Dixon
Part 1 - College of William and Mary
Part 2 - Merchants Square
Part 3 - Buildings that Move
Part 4 - Market Square
Part 5 - Ludwell-Paradise
Part 6 - Queen Street to Botetourt Street (You are currently viewing this one)
Part 7 - Raleigh Tavern
Part 8 - Paints
Part 9 - Botetourt Street to the Capitol Area
Part 10 - Capitol
Part 11 - No Longer Here
Part 12 - Francis and Nicholson Streets
Part 13 - Garden Edition
Part 14 - The Governor's Palace Gardens
Part 15 - Inside the Governor's Palace
Bonus 35/15 Posts:
35/15: A Dessert Order
35/15: Life in Williamsburg in 1935
35/15: Governor's Palace Wallpaper
35/15: Governor's Palace Wallpaper II