Sunday, January 29, 2023

Looking Back: Never Never Land of Point Defiance Park

An older lady and a young boy stand in front of a ticket window made to look like a larger-than-life stack of books. On top of the books is a sculpture of Humpty-Dumpty
My Grandmother and I, mid-90's
at the front entrance to Never Never Land
Photo by my mother
Once upon a time, in a far-off land, there was a place called Never Never Land. It was a walk-through storybook attraction at Point Defiance Park in Tacoma, Washington. In the midst of the woods, you followed a trail past vignettes recreating scenes from various fairy tales. 

This charming attraction opened in 1964 and closed in 2001. Many of the figures were put into storage around that time. In 2010, the last of the structures were demolished after years of vandalism and weather damage. A year later, the building the figures were stored in was set on fire. 34 figures survived, while the rest melted. In 2021, the surviving figures were auctioned off.

Today, we are going back in time to the mid-1990's, when I visited the park a couple times. Here, I have pictures taken by myself and my mom. Enjoy my early photography!

(Photos that are listed as "Photographer unknown" were pictures in my photo album, but I am unsure if I took them or my mom. The pictures I can verify as mine are ones where the composition is, what I would now describe as... nontraditional. The "Photographer unknown" photos look to have a better-developed compositional skill level, but who knows? Maybe I did take them.)

A friend and I with Humpty Dumpty (center)
Photo taken by my mother

Never Never Land puppet show
Photographer unknown

Little Dutch Boy
Photo by me

My Grandmother on the trail by the Gingerbread House
Photo by me

Old Mother Hubbard's house
Photo by me

Me at Old Mother Hubbard's house
Photo by my mom

Three Little Kittens
Photo by me

Simple Simon Met a Pieman
Photo by me

Ding Dong Bell
Photo by me

Little Bo Peep
Photo by me

3 Billy Goats Gruff
Photo by me

Goldilocks and the Three Bears
(Baby Bear is blocked from view by Goldilocks)
Photographer unknown

Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf
Photo by my mom

Close-up on the balloon from the previous photo
It has the Never Never Land logo on it
Photo by my mom

Some friends and I at the home of Jack Sprat
Photo by my mom

My friends and I viewing Peter Rabbit in Mr. McGregor's garden
Photo by my mom

Mr. McGregor and Peter Rabbit
Photo by me

Jack and Jill 
Photographer unknown

Little Miss Muffet
Photo by me

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son and I
Photo by my mother

A random squirrel in a picnic area
Photo by me

Never Never Land brochure my mom saved in her photo album

Never Never Land brochure my mom saved in her photo album

Today, you can still walk through the woods that once was Never Never Land. While most landmarks are gone, a couple remain in place: the wells from Ding Dong Bell and Jack and Jill, the painted trees by the 3 Bill Goats Gruff, the stage in the back of the park, and the stone wall and pond from the Little Dutch Boy.

This park is still fondly remembered. There is a small community push to bring back some version of Never Never Land to the Pacific Northwest. Here's hoping! Check out the Never Never Land Tacoma Facebook Page.

Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment